Randi S. Ellis
Randi Ellis is an attorney whose professional experience and strategic problem-solving skills have earned her the recognition and respect of colleagues throughout the United States. Widely sought by judges and lawyers alike, Randi is frequently called upon to create and administer sophisticated settlement solutions. Her unique ability to develop effective resolutions for complex legal matters is used to enhance the litigation process in both federal and state courts. At all stages of the dispute resolution process, Randi applies integrated strategies designed to achieve complete resolution.
Randi’s areas of practice include but are not limited to cases involving: class actions, environmental and toxic torts, mass actions, multi-district litigation, personal injury, and pharmaceutical drug and medical device cases. She facilitates individual or multiple parties matters at any time before litigation through final disbursement and dismissal.
Randi earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Arts & Sciences in 1994 and went on to obtain her law degree from Louisiana State University in 1997. Randi also attended the Harvard Law School Program on Negotiation.
Early in her career she clerked for the Honorable Christine Noland of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana and for the Honorable William Morvant of the Nineteenth Judicial District Court of Louisiana. She also served as an attorney for the Louisiana Legislature Civil Law Committee. Randi worked in private practice for over 12 years before opening her own firm.
Admitted to Bar: Louisiana, 1997; U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Middle Districts of Louisiana.
Harvard Law School Program on Negotiation.
Member of the Academy of Court Appointed Special Masters.
Special Master, Mediation, and Attorney Chair Experience
Appointed to serve as Special Master and mediator in several Multidistrict Litigation, federal, and state cases.
Served as Special Master or Court Neutral in matters involving:
- Case management
- Pretrial discovery, including resolution of privilege issues
- Allocating settlement funds to class and mass tort claimants (including development and implementation of methodology)
- Lien Resolution
- Reviewing reasonableness of attorneys’ fees (including resolution of common fund/benefit issues)
- Pharmaceutical mass actions and multi-district litigation
Served as arbitrator and mediator in both federal and state cases both by court appointment and by private party selection.
Appointed to serve as attorney chair for medical malpractice cases by plaintiffs and defendants. Presided over more than 150 medical malpractice panels.
Special Master, Mediation and Settlement Allocation Assignments:
- In re: Testosterone Replacement Therapy Litigation, MDL No. 2545 (N.D. Ill. J.P.M.L.) Court-Appointed Settlement Master concerning products liability claims alleging arterial cardiovascular injuries or injuries related to blood clots in the veins as a result of taking prescription testosterone replacement therapy drugs
- In re: Yasmin and Yaz (Drosporenone) Marketing, Sales Practices and Products Litigation, MDL No. 2100 (S.D. Ill. J.P.M.L.) Court-Appointed Mediator and Special Master concerning products liability claims arising out of contraceptive use
- In re: Pradaxa (Dabigatran Etexilate) Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2385 (S.D. Ill. J.P.M.L.) Court-Appointed Special Master for mediation and for allocation; allocated $650 million settlement fund to claimants alleging injuries related to anticoagulant pharmaceutical use; mediated and allocated Common Benefit Fees and Expenses
- In re: Oil Spill by the Oil Rig “Deepwater Horizon” in the Gulf of Mexico, on April 20, 2010, MDL No. 2179 (E.D. La. J.P.M.L.) Court-Appointed Mediator for personal injury claims; appointed Court-Designated Neutral for resolution of various matters; developed methodology for allocating $2.3 billion settlement fund to thousands of Gulf of Mexico seafood harvesters who alleged economic damage as a result of the BP oil rig disaster
- Risperdal and Invega Product Liability Cases (Pa. and Ca.) Mediator for actions pending in state courts alleging personal injury arising out of pharmaceutical use
- McClurg et al v. Mallinckrodt, Inc, et al., 4:12-CV-00361 (E.D. Mo.) Court-Appointed Mediator for consolidated actions seeking damages for injuries allegedly sustained as a result of multiple decades of exposure to hazardous, toxic, and radioactive substances
- Mass Depakote Litigation, 12-cv-52, etc. (S.D. Ill.) Court-Appointed Mediator related litigation pending nationwide for claims alleging birth defects arising out of pharmaceutical use
- Medtronic Infuse Litigation (multiple jurisdictions) Mediator for products liability claims arising out of bone graft product use; as well as Court-Appointed Special Master for allocation of aggregate settlement fund
- In re: Coloplast Corp. Pelvic Support Systems Products Liability Litigation (Transvaginal Mesh), MDL No. 2387 (S.D. W.Va. J.P.M.L.) Mediator concerning products liability claims arising out of vaginal mesh use; Court-Appointed Special Master to allocate aggregate settlement fund; also Special Master allocating settlement funds for claims against CR Bard, Covidien, and Boston Scientific
- Avandia Deceptive Marketing Litigation (multiple jurisdictions) Mediator for products liability claims by certain attorneys general arising out of allegations of deceptive marketing of diabetes pharmaceutical
- In re: Chinese-Manufactured Drywall Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2047 (E.D. La. J.P.M.L.) Assisted the Special Master with allocation responsibilities for $1.1 billion in settlement for case in which homeowners alleged defendants were responsible for installation of defective drywall; served as Court-Appointed Mediator; secured commitments from more than 600 defendants to global settlement
- St. Jude Medical Spinal Cord Stimulator Products (multiple jurisdictions) Mediator and allocation neutral for claims arising out of the use of spinal cord stimulator systems
- In Re: Swift Energy Company, et al., 13-05552 (E.D. La) Mediator and settlement administrator for claims alleging property damage from oil release to oyster leases
- In re Denture Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2051 (S.D. Fla. J.P.M.L.) Selected by group of settling products liability plaintiffs to allocate aggregate settlement fund
- In re FEMA Trailer Formaldehyde Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 1873 (E.D. La. J.P.M.L.) Deputy Special Master in federal Multidistrict Litigation case to allocate multiple settlement funds to several thousand claimants who alleged chemical exposure while occupying temporary housing after Hurricane Katrina
- Ian Pollard, et al. v. Remington Arms Co., et al., 4:13-00086 (W.D. Mo.) Mediator for products liability claims arising out of gun use
- Jeff Simmons, et al. v. Sabine River Authority of Louisiana, et al., 2:11-cv-00588 (W.D. La.) Special Master; allocated class settlement funds to claimants who alleged that they had suffered flood damages due to the opening of a nearby dam
- John Burford, et al. v. Cargill, Inc., 05-0283 (W.D. La.) Assisted Special Master to disburse nationwide class settlement funds to thousands of farmers in 47 states who used allegedly defective dairy feed product
- Jane Doe No. 1, et al. v. The Johns Hopkins Health System Corporation, d/b/a The Johns Hopkins Hospital, et al., 24-C-13-00141 (Md. Baltimore City Cir. Ct.) Mediator for claims arising out of claims of physician misconduct
- Noretta Thomas, et al. v. A. Wilbert & Sons, L.L.C., et al., 55,127 (La. 18th J.D.C.) Special Master; allocated class settlement funds to several thousands of residents of and visitors to trailer park in settlement with trailer park owner for groundwater contamination claims; appointed Special Master to allocate attorneys’ fees; Special Master to allocate class settlement funds to several thousand landowners in settlement with chemical plant owner for chemical pollution claims
- Toussaint Battley, Sr., et al. v. Pointe Coupee Parish Police Jury, et al., 41,792 (La. 18th J.D.C. Special Master; allocated class settlement funds to property owners damaged by flood
- Carey C. Abbott, et al v. Waste Management, Inc., et al., 87,182 (La. 21st J.D.C.) Special Master; allocated settlement funds to residents affected by environmental contamination
- Mark S. Creech, et al. v. Acadian Ambulance Service, Inc., 61,236 (La. 18th J.D.C.) Special Master to allocate settlement funds to insurance policyholders in class action requesting payment reimbursement
- Keisha Desselle, et al. v. Acadian Ambulance Service, Inc., 2010-5885 (La. 12th J.D.C.) Special Master to allocate settlement funds to insurance policyholders in class action requesting payment reimbursement
- Rita H. Holzenthal, et al. v. Sewerage & Water Board of New Orleans, 2001-16969 (La. C.D.C.) Assisted Special Master to allocate settlement to persons allegedly affected by New Orleans Sewerage and Water Board project
- Kristen M. Rhodes v. BG Estate Servs., Inc., et al., 2001-18355 (La. C.D.C.) Assisted Special Master to allocate class settlement funds to persons allegedly affected by mold exposure
- Arthur Schexnayder, Jr., et al. v. Entergy Louisiana, Inc., et al., 28,907 (La. 23rd J.D.C.) Assisted Special Master to allocate class settlement funds to property owners in more than 20 parishes against utility company for alleged trespass claims
- Ivan Guidry, et al. v. City of Denham Springs, 28,907 (La. 21st J.D.C.) Assisted Court-Appointed Arbitrator to allocate settlement funds among claimants who were allegedly affected by waste water contamination
- In re Honeywell, July 20, 2003 Chlorine Release, 511,626 (La. 19th J.D.C.) Assisted Special Master to allocate class settlement funds to several thousand persons allegedly affected by two separate releases from chemical plant; assisted Special Master to allocate attorneys’ fees
- Paul Thompson, et al v. Williams Companies, Inc. et al and Bailey, et al v. Williams Olefins, LLC, et al., 72,701 (La. 18th J.D.C.) Special Master for settlement and allocation for claims arising out of personal injuries from plant explosion